Monday 25 March 2013

My High School Experience



It seems like when it comes to most peoples high school experience, the majority of us have a list of regrets. There are things we wish have done differently and or shouldn't have done full stop.
I usually blog about all things fashion on here but I thought I would post something a little different and hopefully give an insight into my high school life and advice to some people who are gradating school soon.

So I graduated high school last year and I could honestly say it was the best day of my life. I have never really enjoyed school I was never interested in the subjects or the things that came along with it like school clubs, school trips etc I just wanted to go to school then come home and do my own thing. I started high school in 2006 I still remember the first day; my dad dropping me off at the gates and walking into the assembly hall and trying to find people you recognise from primary school. The first couple of years in school were okay I met new people and got a lot more confident it wasn't until I got to about fifth year so about 16 years old when I pretty much hated the place. I had a great group of friends and good social circle but I was just getting sick of the same old routine. I didn't want to be there. When you get to the senior school years you need to start making decisions. What to do want to do when you leave, where do you want to study, do you want to live away from home.  So many things you have been told to decide on within a few months and tbh I didn't have a clue. I never had a clear idea of what I wanted to do when I left school. I enjoyed business management in school but I didn't see myself studying it. I wanted something a little more creative. I am a very creative minded and constantly thinking of things in my head. 


When I told my guidance teacher I didn't want to apply to university and was going to go to college instead it all changed suddenly I was seen as a failure and not as smart as the rest for deciding to go to college. When I mentioned I was applying to a fashion course it didn't help either, there is still that sigma attached to fashion courses I feel. Many people roll their eyes at you and just think 'oh another girl wanting to study fashion and wanting be the next Carrie Bradshaw' as I've seen many people in the past who just think 'I love clothes and shopping, I want to study fashion' and tbh after going for countless work experience interviews in the past year 'I love clothes' isn't going to get you very far. Fashion is far more than that and thats what I am hoping to prove to people. 


One huge support to me in high school was my mum. I am lucky to have parents who are supportive in everything I do and when I said to her I wasn't interested in the 'normal academic' path or wanting to apply to uni she didn't shoot me down or tell me I was a failure which tbh my school did. She helped me by looking at college courses and also attending college open days.

After looking at a few courses at various different colleges I decided on Fashion Merchandising. I loved fashion and wanted to go down the buying and merchandising route. I attended an interview and got an unconditional offer right away I was so happy I finally had a plan and something to look forward to. I finished school in July and went to school prom, it was a great night and the final chance to say bye to all your class mates who were moving all over Scotland. 

Nearly a year now since I left school and I am so much happier I absolutely love college I am doing something which I am interested in and the lecturers and so supportive compared to high school. I am nearly finished the course and moving on to study fashion retail management at the same college. I am glad I decided to study fashion and also proud that I didn't let anyones opinion stop me for doing so. Never let anyone stop you following your dreams. God when did I become so cheesy!